Divorce in Michigan: All About Child Support

Divorce in Michigan - child support

Are you wondering if you’ll have to pay child support?

How much child support will you be required to pay?

On this Friday after a wonderful Thanksgiving, we are exploring a less than wonderful topic. Over the past month I have been publishing articles about divorce is Michigan. Recently, those posts have been related to divorce with children.

Today, we’re reviewing child support. We will be looking into what it is, who pays it and how the court will decide how much is paid.

What is Child Support?

You do not have to have been married to your child’s other parent in order to file and receive child support. While this subject has fallen under our divorce in Michigan series, you do not have to be going through a divorce to be ordered to pay child support.

Michigan Legal Help put together a great definition,

Child support is a parent’s court-ordered payment to help with the costs of raising a child. Child support normally includes a base amount, plus amounts for health care expenses and child care expenses. Child support can be ordered as part of a paternity or custody case (if the parents were never married), as part of a divorce case, or as a support case.”

Who Pays Child Support?

Both parents are required to support the child financially. Whether or not your rights have been terminated as a parent, you are still required to pay child support.

How Is Child Support Calculated?

Here are a few of the considerations the court will take into account when calculating child support.

  • The income of both parents
  • Parting time arrangements
  • Custody arrangements
  • The cost of the child’s medical needs
  • Any costs of child care.

Please Note

The information provided on this blog is free for your reference and is not intended as legal counsel. The situation for each person, couple and family is different. If you have any specific questions about your situation, please feel free to contact me. You can contact me in the comment section below, by using our convenient contact form or by giving my office a call.

248-348-7400 or 586-530-1000