What is it Like to File a Child Custody Case in Michigan? Part 2

Could the Friend of the Court decide whether or not I get custody?

What if both parents reach an agreement?

Today, we are looking at part 2 of what it is like to file a child custody case in Michigan. If you haven’t yet read part 1, please visit, What is it Like to File a Child Custody Case in Michigan? Part 1. This two part series is part of our larger series on Filing for Custody in Michigan.

Depending on what county you are in, there may be specifications that are not covered in this series. In addition, I am only covering custody cases between two parents. If you are a grandparent or guardian seeking custody, please feel free to contact my office with any questions that you may have.

Information Provided is Free and General – Not Legal Advice

The information that is presented on this blog is general and free, however, it is not intended to be legal advice. Each and every family’s situation is unique, just like every child is different. If you still have questions after reading this series, please contact my office. Now, let’s continue with what the process will be like.

Filing a Child Custody Case in Michigan

  • The Friend of the Court
    Decisions about custody, parenting time, and child support are assisted by the Friend of the Court. Typically a case worker is assigned, and in some cases, he or she will make recommendations about custody, parenting time, and child support.

    Don’t worry. If you do not agree with the case worker’s recommendation, you can object. You will have a hearing in front of a judge before any order can be issued.

  • If Both Parents Agree
    If both parents can agree on the custody, parenting time, and the child support, they can take those terms to the court. The judge will then hear the terms as long as he/she agrees it is in the best interest of the child. This is likely if the terms allow for both parents to spend time with the child.

    If the parents cannot agree it is likely they will have a custody hearing in front of a judge.

  • What Is Alternative Dispute Resolution?
    Sometimes parents are ordered to an ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution), which likely means mediation.

  • The Final Order
  • Once either a settlement has been made or a custody hearing has happened, a final order will be filed. While final custody orders may be changed, it would be another process.

  • Should you represent yourself?
    A custody hearing is not a simple process. It can be confusing and intimidating. MichiganLegalHelp.org describes it like this,

    Representing yourself at a custody hearing is not simple. If you are in this situation, consider hiring a lawyer to get the best result.”

If you are facing a child custody hearing and would like experienced legal help, please call my office. I would be honored to help.

248-348-7400 or 586-530-1000