When Your Child is Charged with a Drug Related Crime


Has your child been charged with a drug related crime and you aren’t sure what to do?

Are you worried about your child’s future?

As a parent you want the best for your child. You want them you have everything you never had and every option available to them. The reality is that kids are kids, and sometimes they make mistakes.

It may not have even been his or her mistake, but your child may have been found guilty by association. Your child could have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That Hard Truth – Michigan and Drug Crimes

The hard truth is that the State of Michigan takes drug crimes very seriously and has strict punishments when it comes to possession of drugs, possession with the intent to sell or any other drug charge.

Possession charges in Michigan have even been known to result in life in prison and up to one million dollars in fines. Possession with intent to sell could land your child with a minimum of 20 years in prison.

Not to mention if your child is convicted, the possible impact their criminal record will have on their future employment.

What If My Child Was Only Driving?

While you, as a parent, try and protect your kids, there are some things that are really hard to anticipate like their friends. What happens when your child is driving their car and their friend is in possession marijuana or another drug?

Even if your child doesn’t know what their friend has brought drugs into their car, they are responsible for any property found in the vehicle. This particular situation can be very scary for youth.

There Are Options

The good news is that there are defense options.

An experienced criminal defense lawyer can work with you to stand up for your child and to fight for your child’s future.

Today, I wanted to take some time to offer some hope and share with you a few options you and your child may have. Please remember that the following is free information to help prepare you for what is coming next and help you to protect your child’s future.

The following should not be taken as legal advice. Your child’s situation is personal and specific. If you have specific questions, I encourage you to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney that you know and trust.

Option One

Let’s discuss the above situation: your child was only driving and a friend brought drugs into their car. While your child is responsible for the property found in their vehicle there are some options.

If the car has already been searched and the police have already found the drugs, the best thing you and your child could do is not answer any questions or make any statements until a trusted and experienced defense attorney arrives.

Another piece to this particular puzzle is that the police must have probable cause or your permission to search your child’s car. One option here is looking in to whether or not the car was searched legally.

Option Two

For certain offenses there is an option called a consent calendar. This would mean the child would not enter a plea and both the child and the parent must agree to this plan.

There will be certain terms and certain time frames those terms must be met in. However, it may be possible to avoid fingerprinting altogether.

Option Three

The Holmes Youthful Trainee Act is an act where the youth between 17-20 years of age can avoid a criminal record. The child must enter a guilty plea and be placed in prison or on probation without a conviction.


As explained earlier there are options if your child is charged with a drug related crime and we have discussed only three. Remember, your best bet is to contact an experienced and trusted criminal defense attorney. Please call my office today.