How to File an Appeal in Michigan – Original Action

Original Action - Michigan Court of Appeals

Did you know there are three different types of original actions?

Do you know where the closest location to file your original action is?

Happy Friday! It is a beautiful Friday in the Detroit. If you are wondering about the different types of Original Action, please stay tuned. Today, I’m hoping to shed some light on it for you. This is third and last part of a series that we have been working through this month called How to File an Appeal in Michigan. To see the recap of everything that we have covered so far, please start here: How to File an Appeal in Michigan – A Review.

3 Types of Original Action

  1. Complaint for Superintending Control
    When the court refuses to decide in a case, filing a complaint for superintending control would request for the Court of Appeal to order the tribunal to act.
  2. Complaint for Mandamus
    You would file a complaint for mandamus if you were seek to have a state official perform a legal duty that is considered ministerial.
  3. Complain for Habeas Corpus
    Is someone unlawfully imprisoned? You would file for a complaint for Habeas Corpus if this was the case.

Locations to File an Original Appeal

These locations are open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday except on Court Holidays.

  • Detroit
    Cadillac Place
    3020 W. Grand Boulevard, Suite 14-300
    Detroit, MI 48202
    Telephone: (313) 972-5678
  • Troy
    Columbia Center
    201 W. Big Beaver, Suite 800
    Troy, MI 48084
    Telephone: (248) 524-8700
  • Lansing
    Hall of Justice
    925 W. Ottawa St.
    P. O. Box 30022
    Lansing, MI 48909-7522
    Telephone: (517) 373-0786
  • Grand Rapids
    State of Michigan Office Building
    350 Ottawa St. NW
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503-2349
    Telephone: (616) 456-1167

The Michigan Court of Appeals Handbook is written for those individuals who do not have legal representation. Please take note of the message below. If you are looking for help in filing a appeal, please call me at: 248-348-7400.